The Fells Marathon is a two-day hiking competition for Scouts and Explorer Scouts. Carrying full kit for the two days, the Scout teams walk around 20 miles while the Explorer Scout teams walk about 26 miles. Overnight the teams cater for themselves on a remote site monitored by event staff – no leaders or team supporters are permitted there. It is a test of navigation, camping skills and endurance.
The idea came to create a similar event for scouts, to challenge them to survive 2 days carrying all they need and navigate a route against the clock, from this the Haltemprice Scouts Fells Marathon was born.
The event has now run for over 40 years and has changed with the times but still carries it original ethos. The event now has an average of 30 teams from both Scouts & Explorers.
The Event Today
Originally the event was organised by both John and Dave. Today The Fells Marathon is run by the FELLS MARATHON COMMITTEE a group of 20 scouters headed by Neal Ingram.
The maximum entry is 35 teams. Places will be allocated on a first come first served basis with entry fee and ALL forms securing places.
Who can take part?
The event is open to both Scouts 10yrs-14yrs and Explorer Scouts 14yrs-18yrs with separate routes for each age group. The scouts walk 30km and explorers 43km over the 2 days, with a remote camp at the end of Saturday. The event is split into 3 categories as shown below:
- Minimum Age : 10
- Maximum Age: Under 13
- Minimum Age 11.5
- Maximum Age: 14.5
- Minimum Age:13.5
- Maximum Age: Under 18
- Minimum Age:18
- Maximum Age: Under 25
Note: Participants must have reached the category age on the date of the event. Participants must be below the maximum age at the start of the event. Where a birthday takes place on the Saturday or Sunday of the Fells weekend they are considered below the age cut off for the whole event. (POR 4.7.L refers)
Closing Date for Entries
Fells Lite Category Additional Rules
The Fells Lite category is aimed at younger Scouts who struggle with or may be injured by heavy
loads but are capable of walking and navigating the route.
The route and rules for the category are the same as for the Scout event with the exception of
- Teams must be entered as the Fells Lite category on the entry form included in this booklet. Changes cannot be made on the weekend.
- The age range is defined in the table above.
- Fells Lite teams MUST be supported by either a Young Leader or Explorer Scout.
- Because of the difficulty in leading a team of inexperienced walkers the team size must be either 4 or 5 members. Larger teams are not permitted.
- One experienced team member may be above the age range but must be below 18. This is to assist in navigation and help develop confidence in the younger team members.
- All members must camp at the overnight site.
- Overnight equipment, as marked in the kit list will be transported to the overnight site by the organisers.
- Overnight equipment must be of a type normally carried when hike camping – ie of a lightweight type. Patrol tents, large stoves etc are not permitted.
- Overnight equipment must be packed into a maximum of two rucksacks or holdalls clearly marked with the team name and number.
- Overnight equipment will be inspected at kit check.
Further Information, Event Rules and Booking Forms
More information will be available nearer to the time
The Wolds Challenge and The Fells Marathon are organised and run by Blacktoft Beacon District Scout Council.
Registered with the Scout Association: 016357. Registered Charity Number: 1148031